Thursday, October 15, 2015

How to Get an Exemption for the Noise Ordinance

The city has a well established noise policy found in chapter 9.06 of our code book. The amount of noise that is acceptable is determined by the decibels produced. A chart on the Mayor's blog ( outlines the acceptable level of decibels (day is from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm). The ordinance does allow for exceptions for sounds created by parades, carnivals, special public social events, or special construction projects.

An exemption is granted by a permit from the Mayor. If you are interested in an exemption you must complete two tasks. First, obtain written permission from the Neighborhood Chair over the area where the event will be held. Fill out this form and the City Council office will contact the Neighborhood Chair for you. After hearing back from the Neighborhood Chair, your request will be forwarded to the Mayor's office. You can start this process by filling out the form at Please submit your request at least two weeks before your event to allow us enough time to get the required permissions.

Each exemption is issued under the condition that it can be revoked. It is expected that during the event the applicant will work with police if complaints are filed to accommodate the reasonable needs of neighbors.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Comment below (requires Google+ account), on our Facebook page, through our online comment form, or by contacting Council Members directly. Comments/input on items appearing on an upcoming meeting agenda will be compiled and provided to Council Members the day before the meeting. **Note - your comments will be part of the public record.

No comments:

Post a Comment