In the Work Session
Provo Historic Tour:
The Landmarks Commission gave a demonstration of a mobile app they've been working on that explores historic buildings in Provo's downtown. In addition to information and historic photos, users can use the slider under the first photo for each site to fade back and forth between historic and current photographs. Audio narration is included for each of the sites on the tour. This app is currently only available for Android devices but they plan to develop one for the iOS (Apple) system as well. Council Member Calli Hales mentioned how important this project was to her late husband, Stephen.
The Council also:
- Discussed a lease agreement with the Utah Transit Authority regarding the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system on Provo streets. More work needs to be done on this agreement before it is brought back to the Council.
- Heard information on user fees and costs for items in the Community Development department
- Discussed user fees, the establishment of policies, and work by the Citizens Budget Committee
- Heard a report on the Council's communication and outreach initiatives
- Discussed a zone change requested by Premier Realty Investments from Residential Conservation (RC) and Heavy Commercial (CM) to the Medium Density Residential (MDR) Zone, for the purpose of developing a new multi-family residential community, comprising 4.38 acres, located at approximately 1040 South 1000 East, Provo, UT. Spring Creek Neighborhood. (13-0003R) This will be formally heard at the September 15 Council Meeting.
In the Formal Meeting
Change in date for November meeting:
Because of the date where the 2015 General Election falls and the legal requirements for the City Recorder to receive the ballots, the Council examined the meeting schedule for 2015 and decided to make a change to their November meeting date. The Council generally holds only one Council Meeting in November due to the holidays and the General Election date. Rather than hold a separate Board of Canvassers meeting, Council Members voted to change the November 10, 2015, meeting and hold it instead on November 17, 2015. The corresponding Work Meeting will also be moved to November 17.
The Council also:
- Heard the Mayor proclaim September 8-11 Provo Bike-to-School Week
- Heard the annual report from the Provo City Justice Court
- Approved a resolution approving an interlocal agreement for a mass notification system
- Approved a resolution approving a new Egress Window Program
- The request for an ordinance enacting a temporary zoning amendment to the Arbors on the Avenue Project Redevelopment Option Zone to reduce the minimum finish floor area was withdrawn by the applicant
- The resolution approving an amendment to a Development Agreement regarding property generally located at 5000-5200 North University Avenue, Provo, Utah in order to allow six additional units and decrease the minimum parking spaces per dwelling unit was continued to the September 15 meeting
This is a general summary of the Council's meetings. For a more detailed agenda and minutes, please visit our public documents site: http://publicdocuments.provo.org/sirepub/meet.aspx
Video recordings: Work Meeting and Council Meeting
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Comment below (requires Google+ account), on our Facebook page, through our online comment form, or by contacting Council Members directly. Comments/input on items appearing on an upcoming meeting agenda will be compiled and provided to Council Members the day before the meeting. **Note - your comments will be part of the public record.