In the Work Session
Joint Meeting with the Airport Board:
The Council met with the Airport Board to discuss the Airport Master Plan, how the airport is doing, and visions for the future. Council Members also wanted to know how they could be supportive of the Board's efforts.
Covey Center for the Arts:
Paul Duerden, Covey Center Manager, was asked to offer the opening prayer for the meeting. Afterward, he presented some information on how the Covey Center is doing and the variety of activities happening there. Over 160 performances were staged in the last fiscal year. The building hosts performing groups, concerts, theatrical productions, art displays, classes, and workshops. Community partnerships are being developed that are mutually beneficial to local performing groups and to Provo City. The Covey Center is also able to attract acts and shows that would normally be at large arenas like the Maverik Center or Energy Solutions Arena.
The Council also:
- Discussed an approach called Budgeting for Outcomes
- Heard a report from Y2 Analytics on the results of a survey on recreation, arts, and parks in Provo
- Discussed closed meeting agenda prioritization
- Discussed potential amendments to the development agreement for the Arbors on the Avenue development.
- Discussed the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) 1-Year Action Plan and 5-Year Consolidated Plan. This will be heard formally at a future Council Meeting.
- Discussed reprogramming HOME Investment and Partnerships Program funds. This was also heard formally at the July 21 Council Meeting.
- Discussed amendment to an interlocal agreement authorizing Provo City to become a member of the Jordan River-Farmington Bay Water Quality Council. This was also heard formally at the July 21 Council Meeting.
- Discussed a request for a zone change from Residential Conservation to Medium Density Residential in the Franklin Neighborhood. This will be formally heard at the August 18 Council Meeting.
In the Formal Meeting
Council Members passed a resolution appointing election poll workers and designating polling places for the upcoming primary and general elections in Provo. During the public comments portion of the meeting a Provo resident mentioned that she was having trouble finding information about the upcoming elections. Primary elections will be held on August 11, 2015, from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm. Early voting for the primary is available at the Provo Recreation Center from July 28 through July 31 and August 3 through August 7 (hours vary by day). More information can be found on the Mayor's blog.
The Council also:
- Had a presentation by the Covey Center for the Arts on their production of "Mary Poppins"
- Passed a resolution appointing election poll workers and designating polling places for the upcoming primary and general elections in Provo
- Passed a resolution approving an application for a Byrne Justice Assistance Grant
- Passed a resolution approving the amendment to an interlocal agreement authorizing Provo City to become a member of the Jordan River-Farmington Bay Water Quality Council
- Held a public hearing and passed a resolution regarding HOME Investment and Partnerships Program funds
- Held a public hearing and approved the annexation of property and disconnection of other property along the Provo and Orem city boundary in the Lakeview North Neighborhood. An interlocal agreement on this was also passed.
- Held a public hearing and passed an amendment to reduce existing code conflicts and update parking design standards citywide
- Held a public hearing and passed a request for a text amendment in the Neighborhood Shopping Center Zone to reduce the acreage requirement for funeral homes to allow for a lot split at 4780 N University Avenue
- Held a public hearing and passed a request to vacate three sections of public street right of way for the Energy Department campus rebuild in the North Park Neighborhood
This is a general summary of the Council's meetings. For a more detailed agenda and minutes, please visit our public documents site: http://publicdocuments.provo.org/sirepub/meet.aspx
Video recordings: Work Meeting and Council Meeting
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Comment below (requires Google+ account), on our Facebook page, through our online comment form, or by contacting Council Members directly. Comments/input on items appearing on an upcoming meeting agenda will be compiled and provided to Council Members the day before the meeting. **Note - your comments will be part of the public record.
Post a Comment