Joint Meeting with the Parks and Recreation Board:
The Council met with the Parks and Recreation Board to discuss user fees, capital improvement projects, and the recreation, arts and parks tax. Regularly holding joint meetings with key boards and commissions is something Council Members felt would be helpful for discussing items of mutual interest.
Several options are being considered as Provo City's contract with Republic Service for curbside recycling services is nearing its end. The Public Works Department is recommending that recycling be handled in-house rather than renewing the contract with Republic. Costs for various options were presented in addition to a recommendation to switch from biweekly to a weekly pickup schedule. This will be presented to the Council again once more details have been determined.
The Council also:
- Heard a presentation on the need for an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System. Council Members expressed their support and requested periodic updates on the vendor selection process.
- Heard a presentation on the 2015 Utah County Municipal Recreation Grant. This will be formally heard at the May 5 Council Meeting.
- Discussed a resolution to appropriate funds for reclamation digester dome repair (Waste Water)
- Heard a presentation from the Utah Valley University Public Service Academy on the Municipal Volunteer Benchmarking Report
- Discussed a request for ordinance amendments to Sections 14.21A.070 and 14.21B.070 regarding building height in the General Downtown and Downtown Core zones. (City Wide). This will be formally heard at the May 5 Council Meeting.
In the Formal Meeting
The start of the Council Meeting was delayed slightly due to an earlier evacuation of the City Center building. A threat (which turned out to be a false alarm) was phoned in during the Work Session, causing that meeting to end early. Once the building had been searched and declared safe, Council Members returned to the building and prepared for the formal meeting.
The Council also:
- Heard a presentation to Provo City for the 2014 Healthy Worksite Award
- Heard a presentation for the Justice Court of the Year Award
- Held a public hearing and approved a resolution appropriating funds for capital expenses for Waste Water repairs (also discussed in the Work Session)
- Held a public hearing and approved a resolution authorizing the issuance and sale of Energy System Revenue Bonds. Terms of the bond sale: 20-year, $20 million bond at 3.09% interest rate.
- Held a public hearing and approved an ordinance approving the annexation of 3.15 acres in the North Timpview Neighborhood
- Held a public hearing and approved an ordinance designating 3.15 acres of property at 5050 N Canyon Road as R1.10 (One-Family Residential) (North Timpview Neighborhood)
- Held a public hearing and approved an ordinance amending the zone from A1.5 (agriculture Residential) to R1.10 (One-Family Residential) on properties between 4900 and 5000 North on the east side of Canyon Road (North Timpview Neighborhood)
- Held a public hearing and approved an ordinance amending Sections 14.17B.080 and 14.17B.130 to reduce required setbacks in the Health Care Facilities zone (City Wide)
This is a general summary of the Council's meetings. For a more detailed agenda and minutes, please visit our public documents site: http://publicdocuments.provo.org/sirepub/meet.aspx
Video recordings: Work Meeting and Council Meeting
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Comment below (requires Google+ account), on our Facebook page, through our online comment form, or by contacting Council Members directly. Comments/input on items appearing on an upcoming meeting agenda will be compiled and provided to Council Members the day before the meeting. **Note - your comments will be part of the public record.