The Budget Committee showed examples of some Provo City user fees and how close they came to covering direct and indirect costs. Determining the indirect costs has been a challenge and placeholders of ten percent of direct costs have been used when necessary. The committee recommends evaluating user fees this way, even if the City wants to subsidize some of the costs, so the true funding picture can be seen. Reviewing one-third of the user fees each year (so that all will be reviewed once in a three-year period) was also recommended. The Council will start by reviewing a list of 25 fees to determine where to focus their efforts first.
The Council also:
- Had a discussion with representatives from the Utah League of Cities and Towns regarding a transportation funding resolution they have requested be sent to the Utah State Legislature
- Heard a presentation from the UVU Public Service Academy on the Performance Dashboard
- Discussed the Storm Water Impact Fee
- Heard a presentation on Low-Mod Income Housing in Utah County
- Discussed requests from BYU to vacate a portion of 150 East as well as a portion of Heritage Drive at 900 East
- Discussed a rezoning request in the East Bay Neighborhood
In the Formal Meeting
Tribute to Becky Lockart:
On behalf of the City Council, Kim Santiago read a tribute to former Utah Representative Becky Lockhart, who passed away last week. Becky's husband, Stan, was presented with a copy of the tribute and was given a chance to speak. Mayor Curtis also announced the City's intention to build a memorial to Lockhart to continue her work in inspiring young women to accomplish more in their lives.
Fight Night Resolution:
The Council passed a resolution regarding fight nights. The resolution's purpose was to educate the public about these illegal activities. Because much of this activity goes unreported and the results can endanger those who participate in the fights as well as the bystanders, parents are encouraged to discuss this with their children.
The Council also:
- Viewed a presentation by Tom Holdman Studios on his blown glass exhibit in the Covey Center Gallery
- Presented the first annual Canyon Bicycle Commuter Golden Spoke Award to Lexi Williamson
- Held a public hearing and approved resolutions on the issuance and sale of Water and Wastewater Revenue Bonds
- Approved a resolution appropriating funds for a construction loan for the startup building project
- Passed a resolution encouraging the State of Utah to address comprehensive transportation funding
- Passed an ordinance amending the Zone Map Classification from A1.5 to R1.8 for 35 acres in the Lakewood Neighborhood
This is a general summary of the Council's meetings. For a more detailed agenda and minutes, please visit our public documents site: http://publicdocuments.provo.org/sirepub/meet.aspx
Video recordings: Work Meeting and Council Meeting